Friday, March 26, 2010

Help!-- Which picture should I use for interview?

Ok, here's the story-- I'm so very flattered to have been contacted & interviewed for a feature on AdventureWoman.com. But after finally finishing answering the interview questions (some of them made me really think-- not surprising), now I can't decide which photo to send with it! I asked my main advisor (my sister) and she couldn't decide-- said to flip a coin (she's serious too btw, she's all about letting fate decide when you can't). For some (perhaps arbitrary?) reason, I always feel like *I* want to have made the decision... whatever, call it a personal hang-up or something.

So... it hit me that I could "release control" a bit, but rather than to a coin, I'd let the decision be made by a method I trust more-- you guys!

The brief back-story: The interview focuses on my being a whitewater raft guide and a nature photographer, and the adventures I've had and want to experience in the future. As such, Travel is a big player in the interview too.

So... these photos cover all those aspects. I want one that is interesting to viewers of course (a good "hook" to make you actually want to read the interview). But I also got hung-up thinking about the power of imagery and how that photo will "be what I am in the viewer's mind" long after the words are forgotten (I blame a college course for this--haha). So, it leaves me not knowing which to use! Rafting ones undoubtedly look more exciting, but I'm pursuing my photography as more of a career, and rafting part-time these days. So... hmm... I don't know!

You guys know a fair bit about me by now (especially those who have been around since the beginning of this lil blog)! So... I'm doing a short "poll" (today only-- need to turn this interview in) to see which YOU think would be best. THANK YOU in advance! :D

P.S. If you did not read this post-- please don't vote. I know that sounds harsh, but I want the deciding factors (the focus of the interview, what I'm debating, etc...) to be considered by those helping me make my decision. Thank you. :)

...OR, if you really want to vote, at least tell me you didn't read the post so I know it's just a vote on overall impression. :)













































15 comments:

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

My favorite is the close up of you whitewater rafting! An action picture if you will! AdventureWoman.com looks like a great site! I'll have to check it out more closely later!
Congrats on the interview!
Michelle-

Lyn said...

HI Kenna,
These are all great shots - each depicting a different aspect of your adventurous spirit. However there are two that jumped out at me ... the first is the shot of you standing on the outcropping with the valley behind you. It is a powerful shot and seems to say "I think anything is possible". And the other one I liked was the light hearted shot of you up the signpole. It looks as though you are saying - I want to go everywhere. I favour the individual shots of you. And that is my two cents worth (Canadian dollars of course!).

Dana said...

Hi Kenna. I like the second one, you on a rock dressed in blue fitting with the background and I like also very much that one with you rafting.

Kenna Elizabeth said...

Thank you for the great feedback ladies! I appreciate all of it (though hopefully I'll get a bit more to see if there's a clear "winner" of a shot)!

Otherwise it's back to flipping a coin (maybe I'll use one of the two Canadian cents for the flip-- hee hee)! ;)

Really liked the feedback, and the reasoning/explanations-- very helpful (and kind)! Thank you!

Michelle, glad you liked that site-- there really are some great inspiration stories on that page I linked especially! :)

Kathy said...

It's the very top right one for me, but it's kind of covered up by the other one. I like the scene and you with the camera. I think it covers everything.

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Hi Kenna - like the close up of you white water rafting - shows such a strong, happy woman.

Quwwa said...

I like the top right picture. Powerful imagery and an interesting subject to boot! I'm sure you'll do well on the interview.

Kenna Elizabeth said...

Thank you all!! Looks like we have a couple "leaders" in the choice-- will see if a clear winner emerges & decide in the am. :)

Kathy-- You mentioned the top right photo was "kind of covered up by the other one." Yikes! My screen/browser definitely does not show me that (or I would definitely have fixed it)!! I go through lots of "fixing" after many of the posts anyway-- to try to get a good format out of it. I'm so glad you mentioned it, but wonder how I can solve things I don't see... hmmm... Checked it in Firefox and Safari, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. Wonder if it's browser or screen related??

Anyone else see photos covering others? Any ideas how I can see it too (and hopefully solve it?

**Do many of my posts do this?? eeek. :)

Celtic Cat said...

Which one do you like the best?

Celtic Cat said...

I like number 3 at the top!

Can't wait to see which one you pick!

Kenna Elizabeth said...

Well-- there was one vote I couldn't be sure of (because of blog formatting differences) but it looks like it comes down to the 2 that my sister and I thought might be best for this as well (though we, too, had those "oh, but that one's good too... I don't know!" moments).

Anyway, it appears that your overall faves were the close up rafting pic and the "photographer on the rocks" pic (haha, pun unintentional!).

So... looks like I will have to flip that coin afterall! Oh the irony! ;)

And It's...

HAHA! "Photographer on the Rocks" (that's **NOT** really an official title for that photo--heheh- but let's you guys know which one I'm talking about).

THANK YOU ALL for the helpful input! Really appreciate that you care and take the time! Have a fuzzy fantastic weekend!! :D

Anonymous said...

Kenna- i hope i am not too late with my choice and yes, i DID read
the blog-my choices came down to
#4 or #5; i eliminated #4 since it
is a good pic of your face but seem to be more about the bottom of your feet(no offense meant)
so my choice is #5 since it does show your face better (the article is about you) and whitewater;
Congrats on the show and the article; mike

myan said...

hmmm, tough choice! i like the one where you are in plane? the last one on the left column. looks badass! :)
congrats on the interview!
x

myan said...

hmmm, tough choice! i like the one where you are in plane? the last one on the left column. looks badass! :)
congrats on the interview!
x

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

I like your selection! You are more brave than I to be 'on the rocks'!
I don't usually go down the cookie aisle at the grocery store because I'm tempted to buy them! However, I needed crackers to go with my cheese for an event I was attending! The oreos were right next to the crackers and the next thing I knew they were in my cart!
A special treat for me!
Enjoy your day!