Monday, February 22, 2010

So you'd like an update, hmm? Well, too bad.



I've not had a whole lot to say or report lately. No new news... just been pluggin' away at some of the "less exciting" behind-the-scenes tasks that have been piling up. And I've been spending a lot of time going over lots of photos I've shot but barely looked at since... lots of "prep work" for future things.

So, I let the "updates" go for a while here on my little blog. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to find that, after steady growth previously, I finally logged in to notice... I've lost some followers. Yes, I know... as I said, I guess it shouldn't really surprise me at all... I guess it really didn't.

I do, however, find it both unfortunate and ironic. Unfortunate that, with so much out there to read/watch/do, people would still lose interest in my blog if it doesn't provide something "new" on a regular enough basis. But... that IS kinda how "blog world" is set, I guess?? So... ok, then perhaps that means I'll never have a "big blog." Oh well. I'll welcome those who are happy with me doing as I do.


Now the ironic part...

Great writers, scientists, artists, philosophers, etc... of the past were KNOWN for often locking themselves away in solitude to focus on their work or craft. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say I'm on par with history's greats... I'm just saying that there is obviously a reason and a necessity for that solitude and focus sometimes in all these "types" of endeavors.

So it's ironic that, by isolating & "unplugging" (spending some time "recharging" and doing work for the next big announcment/news/event/project), I would LOSE followers. By doing the very thing that helps me improve, I lose supporters. That's what I find ironic.

But, I guess there are always those who "get it" and "get you" and those who just... don't. Don't understand or perhaps don't care to. C'est la vie.

To all those of you who understand me, or at least bear with me (heh heh) as I go through "bursts then breaks" while I learn "what works, what doesn't, and what to try next" with my photography efforts. I want to very sincerely say...
Thank You! It means A Lot to me. Thank You for your support... and for sticking around to watch as I learn "Life, Kenna, and this photography business thing." ;)


15 comments:

Jo Bradford said...

Hi Kenna

I have also been pretty quiet over on my blog recently - you are right that at times creative people need to retire to their studios, go inside themselves and just create.

I look forward to seeing the fruit of your retreat sometime soon!!

Lyn said...

Hi Kenna -- I think your infrequent but mesmerizing posts create demand - at least for me. I always get excited when I see a new post pop up in my reader ... you are worth waiting for. Don't mind the number of followers ... just focus on your art and keep us up to date when you can. YOu are sowing seeds that will yield a bountiful, artful harvest. But it is nice to hear from you. : )

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Hi Jenna: The blogosphere is a fickle place. Those who don't get their 'hit' will move on. Those who appreciate your art and all that is involved in doing what you do will understand ... and wait.

Cat Ludwig Studio said...

I am exactly in the same place and it is so refreshing to read your words. Creativity can't be forced. So we wait for the tide to change and we both know it will.

I love your work and am willing to be patient to see your new images. Embrace the journey:)

Kenna Elizabeth said...

Ladies, I just love you. YOU are *precise* examples of the wonderful souls I felt compelled to add that big Thank You at the end of the post. I'm so honored to "know" you. I must always remember to be grateful for (and focus upon!) the amazing folks you can meet on blogs, etc... that just wouldn't have come to be otherwise. I doubt I would have ever met any of you in person, but am so grateful to be in contact with you.

You are doing AMAZING things of your own, and facing your own challenges and struggles, and yet find time to offer kind words anyway. Thank you.

Dana said...

Your calling is photography, you're a true artist and we love your pictures and you. Don't worry about followers, this is not the real world, is it ? First, real life, then the virtual one. Some people just don't understand that a blog in fact represent a person, is not an everyday show created for their entertainment.So, don't worry too much, do what you have to do.

Tiffany said...

I feel the same way sometimes. I lose subscribers and I sort of perseverate on it. What did I do? What didn't I do? Not funny? Not interesting? Not useful? Ack. It's stupid work, this worrying about subscribers. Take out the follower widget, and never look back, that's my advice. Who are you writing the blog for, anyway? It should be YOU. We just like to peep in your diary, you know? Don't you worry about us - we aren't going anywhere. (-;

Celtic Cat said...

Kenna, I love reading your blog!!

Erica Lea said...

Well, you gained a follower tonight, so hope that counteracts the loss a little. I actually found you through Google, started reading your 1st post, and was intrigued. I looked to the side and saw that you're not only in central California and a photographer, but you're also on Etsy. Small world! I look forward to reading and seeing more as you feel inspired to post:-)

Quwwa said...

It's sad to say my friend but even those who are in the art world are now caught up in this fast paced, instant gratification lifestyle to where it's hard to just sit down and reflect and live. Gotta have it and right now. Your art is an expression of your inner being, but how can reflect if your spending all of your time yukking it up with us?

You do have a life ya know ;)
Take care my friend.

Kirigalpoththa said...

I love that second picture!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, take the time you need to fill the well. I'm having the opposite issue - I'm researching too much and not putting it to use. Just doing more research and so on without actually DOING anything with it. It's silly.

Also, great photos. I love how your eye is always developing and how your style is maturing. I'm just an armchair photographer, but I like it. :)

Megan Coyle said...

I stumbled upon your blog and I really like your photography - especially the image of the hot air balloon and the water below.

Janelle said...

Not only that, but some of us who follow need to take breaks from the internet for some creative work as well, so don't take it too personally, I've been on a break from other blogs for a while and I'm glad to be back. Cherish your quiet time! It's food for the soul.

Unknown said...

Boy do I get it! LOL Good for you for taking a sabbatical and working on your craft! Can't wait to see your latest work.

Cheers!
Julie
Julie Magers Soulen Photography